This bulletin contains information on law changes, government discussions, court decisions, and other labor issues in Japan.
We hope that some of this information will also be of interest to activists, supporters of the General Union, and those who want to know more about labor issues in general in Japan.
In this bulletin…
- “Birth Leave for Dads (Parental Leave at Time of Birth) in Effect Starting October 1”: Aug. 22, 2022, MHWL
- “All prefectures’ reports on regional minimum wages have been made”: Aug. 23, 2022, MHWL
- Proposed budget for Reiwa 5 : budget demands summarized–set to be over 110 trillion for second year in a row
- Overtime pay for teachers denied again on appeal: public-school overtime lawsuit
- Mitsubishi electric admits pawahara, settles with employee’s family in 2019 suicide case
- Instructor’s “rotten orange” comment was Otemon Gakuin’s intent: worker’s compensation approved for former staff member
- Two former part-time lecturers at Suzuka U. sue for confirmation of status
- Two part-timers at Handai, after working there over ten years, sue for unlimited-term contracts
- Popular cake shop “eS Koyama” sued by employee: 342 hours of overtime in a month, back-payment sought–Kobe District Court
- Surrounded and scolded for 3-and-a-half hours, 100 hours of overtime: Kyoto District Court verdict orders company to pay 7.7 million
- COVID-19 aftereffects could leave 4 million unable to work, U.S. think tank analyzes
(Translated from Japanese)