Please see below for a list of our demands by following the links on the right.
GABA: the future?
In recent ads GABA has called itself the future of English education in Japan, but what’s so futuristic about GABA and their working conditions? GABA contracts offer:
– NO paid holidays.
– NO unemployment insurance.
– NO health and pension insurance.
– NO set salary.
– NO job security.
– NO right to challenge unfair dismissals.
– NO right to negotiate with your employer as an equal.
Since 1991 the General Union has won the following rights for teachers and staff at most major language schools and a host of smaller ones.
– Paid holidays.
– Unemployment insurance benefits.
– Health and pension rights.
– Pay increases.
– The withdrawal of unfair dismissals and contract non-renewals.
– Grievances procedures to deal with everyday problems.
– The right to sit down with your employer as an equal and negotiate the conditions for which you are willing to teach.